Synchronicity #1


Around 1975, a friend gave me a stained-glass butterfly that she had made. I had it for about 25 years, and it shows up in a couple of my paintings, like this one, for instance.

But when I moved out of one place, I left the butterfly behind accidentally. (And left the painting behind, too, but that was on purpose.) Though my abandonment of the butterfly was unintentional, by the time I realized, it was too late to do anything about it.

Some butterfly-less years went by.

Within the past week, another woman friend who knew nothing about any of this, gave me a butterfly. It’s approximately the same size as the old butterfly, and although it’s made from thousands of beads, rather than sheets of glass, it is pretty much the same color scheme, some version of red and blue, and light shines through.

The two women who gave me these butterflies - both have the same first name.

Comments